Monday 17 November 2014

Cheat's Porridge

I like a bowl of porridge in the morning. Warm, filling, cheap. It's all good.

There are perhaps many schools of thought as to how porridge should taste. When studying for Inter cert Irish (I am that old), "Leite Donncha Pheig" was one of the stories I learnt (and indeed the only one I actually remember). I recall it dealt with matrimonial disharmony arising out of a difference in taste for porridge between salty and sweet. I don’t put salt into my porridge but I like to sprinkle it with sugar, brown if I’m treating myself. While I’m at it, I love to pour a little cream over my porridge too. Not every day.

Two other camps are the nutty or smooth textured porridge eaters. I’m a smooth textured porridge eater although I can appreciate a well made nutty one.

Made on milk or made on water are two other divergences in the making of porridge. Personally I like half and half.

It seems to me that smooth porridge involves a lot of stirring. However, I’m not into standing over the pot stirring it constantly for 3 and a half to 6 minutes (depending on the packet/recipe). Invariably, it tends to stick on the bottom or over cook because I head off to do something else while it is simmering away.

However, I have found a fool proof, easy way to ensure smooth porridge every time. I got the idea from hearing my brother say he puts porridge on a low heat and leaves it for ages. Basically,that’s the cheat. I tend to put the porridge on when I first get up on the lowest heat on the ring. I put a little more liquid in then the recipe states. (If I were organised enough to soak the porridge the night before, it would be all the better). By the time I have had my shower and dressed the two girls it’s ready. I just give it a stir and maybe heat it through but often that’s not even necessary. And the porridge is usually smooth and yummy.  Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment