Thursday 4 December 2014

The Nicest Home Made Chips that aren't Deep Fried

Obviously, if you have a deep frier, this post will be of no interest to you because let's face it, home made chips made in the deep frier are the most delicious. I love chips and I have played around with various recipes for home made wedges and chips and this is the closest I've gotten to deep fried loveliness.


The method I followed was from Rachel's Food for Living by Rachel Allen in her recipe for Sesame Goujons of Fish with Mushy Peas and Oven Roast Chips. 

Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius (425 degrees Fahrenheit), Gas Mark 7. Peel and chop your potatoes into chips. I usually use Rooster or white Potatoes. Put them in a pot. Cover with boiling water from the kettle and boil for one minute. Any more and your chips may end up soggy so as soon as the water starts to boil on the hob, start your timer. As soon as the minute is up, drain your chips and dry them. To dry them, I pour the drained chips onto a baking tray covered in kitchen paper. I then blot the chips with more kitchen paper until I'm satisfied they're dry. Put the dried chips in a bowl and add a few glugs (as they say) of olive oil. Stir until all the chips are evenly coated with oil. Pour the chips back onto the dried baking tray having removed all the kitchen paper. Ensure your chips are spread out in a single layer. If you have too many chips on the tray they will not crisp up. Place your tray in the oven for around 20 minutes. Simples, cheap, delicioso.

Chipinis about to go into the oven. Almost too many on this tray. Should be spread out more but I was too greedy to remove any.
Serve with tomato ketchup, salt and malt vinegar. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment